[DC-Users] We shall get there some day

DuckCorp Admin Team dc-admins at lists.duckcorp.org
Sat May 19 16:35:01 CEST 2018

Quack,

=== Incidents ===

Orfeo was down from 2018-04-20 to 2018-04-24 due to a crash. We don't
know if this was a kernel bug or a hardware failure. It is working again
well fortunately.

Hivane had a problem with a switch on 2018-05-09. It is working again
well after a reboot. They plan to change the switch after this sign of
weakness.

=== Future of the Hardware ===

We're working on a body replacement for Toushirou. We acquired a
machine, not brand new but still a better one, it should improve the
performance of some demanding webapps like StuffCloud. Deployment is
taking more time than expected but we're on it.

We're also reloading the idea of possible home-hosting. This experiment
might give a future to Orfeo which is not in a safe location. Also the
recent crash is a sign the machine is really getting too old and need
replacement.

At the moment the expenses are small, but you're welcome to contribute.
We did not pay yet for the new machine for Toushierou; the rest of the
expenses can be seen here:
   https://users.duckcorp.org/index.php/DcExpenses

=== IRC SPAM ===

To mitigate SPAM we worked on the channel settings but this was not
sufficient. We now require users to authenticate to services and as the
attacks respawn from time to time (even if you don't see anything now)
this is going to stay.

We also recommend you connect via SSL for security and privacy, using
port 6680.

=== SSH Keys Update Bug ===

A bug in the synchronization script removed all SSH keys from user
accounts. Keys registered in the LDAP were reinstalled but manually
added keys, which usually are preserved, were lost. Due to an
unfortunate problem accessing the backup server, we could not re-add
them. If you need keys added, just contact us using a secure channel.

=== Open Infrastructure ===

Most services in our infrastructure are now managed via Ansible and the
rules are publicly accessible:
    https://projects.duckcorp.org/projects/dc-admin/wiki
We're working hard on automating and opening the remaining bits.

The Admin wiki content was moved (and often improved) in the Redmine
wiki or the Users's wiki except for very few sensitive data. This wiki
was closed.

Also most admin discussions/decisions now openly take place either on
Redmine or IRC on #DuckCorp.

Feel free to contribute!

=== Misc news ===

* the IM Gateway was not used anymore, so we stopped the service
* SVN/TLA/CVS repositories were not used anymore, support in shell and
Redmine was removed
* the Redmine timesheet plugin was removed; it was broken by several
bugs (like
https://github.com/arkhitech/redmine_timesheet_plugin/issues/49) and not
well maintained anymore
* Yoshi has a new skin! Also it is not anymore asking people to register
(but you might do so if you wish)

Hugs.
\\_o<

--