[DC-Users] Shields up, weapons online.

DuckCorp Admin Team dc-admins at lists.duckcorp.org
Tue Nov 29 02:58:16 CET 2011

Coin,

=== Quick News ===

* [2011-10-29] the RoundCube webmail was upgraded, bringing
improvements among which: IMAP ACL support (see previous news on the
subject) and a better address book
* [2011-11-07] PostreSQL was upgraded to 9.1, which should bring new
features[1] and performance enhancement; currently the
'standard_conforming_strings' setting was restored to the old
behavior, mais check your apps, as it will soon switch back to its new
and legitimate behavior
* [2011-11-12] our antispam system (DSPAM) was upgraded, with a few
fixes and much better international(-ization) support in the web
interface: pages are now fully multilingual (UTF-8) compliant and mail
subjects (and mail content in the quarantine page) in various foreign
langages are now properly displayed (recoded); beware only mails
coming into the system after this software upgrade are concerned by
this improvement, but it should not be long before it is buried past
* [since 2011-10-10] due to sponsoring problems, Jinta is unavailable
and will probably not return; this has little impact, but we now lack
a secondary IRC server
* [2011-11-29] our new IRC web interface, irconweb-ng.duckcorp.org,
replaced irconweb.duckcorp.org completely, as it is working nicely and
the old system had a few boring bugs (like not always seeing
disconnections); thus irconweb-ng has been renamed into irconweb, and
the old system removed

[1] http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/What%27s_new_in_PostgreSQL_9.1

=== Nuke ===

It's really high time we restart our machines to recent kernels, but
as it is quite sensitive, it was postponed many times. Here is the
blessed schedule:
* [2011-12-04] Toushirou, affects web (everything but mail-related
websites), FTP, VCS, MySQL, IPv6 tunnels, NSTX, shell (but Thorfinn is
available), DNS (backup only), mail (relay only)
* [2011-12-11] Thorfinn, affects shell (you can switch to Toushirou in
the meanwhile), IRC proxy and bots, Jabber (but Orfeo should handle)
* [2011-12-18] Orfeo, affects mail, webdesk, DNS (but Toushirou should
handle), IRC (including IRC2IM gateway), Jabber (but Thorfinn should
handle), PostgreSQL, LDAP (but other nodes should handle in read-only
mode)

Beware a lengthy disk check is likely to happen, which is necessary
from time to time, and we may need to reboot more than once for
technical reasons, so please be patient.

The exact maintenance time will be advertised on IRC, as well as when
the system is safe to use again.

See you soon if we survive !

--
Marc Dequènes (Duck)