[DC-Users] You get off on annoying people, don't you?

DuckCorp Admin Team dc-admins at lists.duckcorp.org
Fri May 13 00:10:36 CEST 2011

Coin,

=== Mail ===

First, it's time for major software upgrades and cleanups, so we'll be
updating a few things this we, causing downtimes on the POP/IMAP
services and incoming mail latency. If you go sunbathing somewhere
nice instead of geeking all day long, you won't notice anything bad
when you're back, i promise ;-).

And you should already have noticed by the end of january that the
webmail.dc.o application transformed into a portal, adding one more
choice in the process. Someone asked about having the RoundCube
webmail software, but at that time it was plain unusuable, so we
postponed its installation until recently.

=== Backup ===

No housing sponsoring on sight, but space problems occuring once in a
while. thus we decided to loose extra data security to get more space:
our important data are not on RAID anymore. It should not be a
problem, except in case of double disaster, and should hopefully help
with the current issue.

By the way, you had no way to know which data where saved or not, so a
new wiki page was created to fill in the gap:
   https://users.duckcorp.org/index.php/Services/Backup
You would notice an interesting feature allowing you to exclude data
from backup, which could also help reducing backup size if it is not
useful to do so.

=== Security ===

We were fed-up with SSL certificates and the mighty CAs, so, from now
on, we do not trust them anymore on our servers. This gave a false
impression of security when there was none.

=== Database ===

PostgreSQL was successfuly upgraded to 9.0 on 2011-04-06. Do not
hesitate asking for a database.

=== FTP issues ===

Recently, people without anything better to do in life, or with a
silly FTP client, caused DOS attacks. Automatic bans have been added
to mitigate this behavior where previous connection limits could not
help. Please tell us if you get any problem connecting, so we can
adjust sensitivity.

Btw, we're still looking for a housing, so if you get a lead, please tell us.

Hugs.

--
Marc Dequènes (Duck)